|Notes ||A Visit to Kibbutz Lavi
The basis of the development by pioneers starting in 1949 of Kibbutz Lavi, built on top of a bare mountain near Tiberius, was one of religion. As of 1967, the time of this Vistas of Israel program, there were 300 men, women and children living on Kibbutz Lavi which now had beautiful homes, a school, a modern dining hall with a kitchen, of course, and a Synagogue. In interviews with some of the people of Lavi, it was emphasized that the Laws of the Torah were followed. The schools taught the Torah, the Talmud and prayers for the Synagogue and home. The Kibbutz supports itself in agriculture with both plant and animal framing. The upbringing of children changed over the beginning from all young children sleeping collectively at night in one area presided over by a caregiver to moving back with the parents with a separate room for the children in the family house.
A discussion is held with the director of the primary school about classroom size and the good quality of the teachings, so much so, that students from out of the Kibbutz are brought to Lavi for classes. The biggest problem in the schools is the one of integration of the various Jewish backgrounds, including the Anglo-Saxon base, Yemenites, East European, etc.